Cane Furniture is on trend right now …
But maybe your old cane furniture is from the 80s or 90s and is in need of a desperate update?! I had a friend from church ask me for tips on painting her cane outdoor setting recently and so I thought I’d take the opportunity to share with you some of the things I told her.
*I’ve included a replay of a live Facebook video below with more explanation.
Here’s one easy peasy method that I tried on this cute toy chair I found at my local thrift store (op shop we call them here in Australia).
Materials I used for this Cane Furniture update:
- your piece of cane furniture
- Fusion Mineral Paint – Raw Silk (you could use any grey paint for a grey wash or a white paint for a white wash)
- Cling On Brush or any old brush if you don’t want to use your good Cling On.
- lint free workshop cloth
Method used for creating the look:
Here’s the basic method I used, but you’ll get a better idea along with detailed explanation in the video below.
- dip your brush tips into the paint colour of your choice
- smoosh the paint into all the crevices of the cane – working only a section at a time being careful not to allow the paint to pool in any areas. If pooling happens, your brush has too much paint on it – use another dry brush to lift and spread this pooled paint around.
- with the dry lint free cloth, wipe away the wet paint from the area you have worked on. The paint will sit in the cane crevices and give a slight white-washed appearance to the surfaces.
- Tip: if you want a lighter look, you can wet your cloth and more paint will be removed.
- remember to work in sections so that the paint doesn’t have time to dry before you remove the excess.
Here’s the finished look:
I hope you enjoyed this quick tutorial. Know a friend who wants to try this on their cane furniture?
Share this post on Pinterest, Facebook or send an email with the link!
Essential Stencil has you covered AND you can enter the coupon code IRESTORESTUFF at the checkout for 10% off your order! Click the image below to head over to their awesome range of high quality stencils!
- 10% off Full Priced Items
- 5% off Sale Items
- 20% off Birthday Benefit
- VIP Exclusive Offers & Events